Here we are in the tree’s new space, which is basically the porch of the gallery. It was quite a nice place to work, much better than the dirty concrete shell of a room I had it in before (not complaining, that was great too though here’s a link for those of you who didn’t see the first exhibition). I spent two days rebuilding the tree while staying with Jenn of Finnegan Lake Gallery and getting to know the little town of Coe Hill, Ontario. I grew up in an another town about an hour away from there but all the people in the small town’s in the surrounding area converged together in Bancroft for schooling and other things. A really beautiful place to grow up in, am I ever lucky.
In the picture below you can see the new 2 foot piece I added to make the tree taller, it is now 10 feet tall!
before the branches were attached…
We added some lights to hang down the centre of it, which I’d like to play around with a bit more to make some more cool effects.
I’ll be going back for more photos in a month or so. I still want to add more branches and roots too, I think it will just be a constantly evolving piece, getting taller and fuller everytime.
Yes its for sale.
I was able to do a lot conceptual work on this piece and planned it all out to make it symmetrical and balanced. Which made it was easy for me to calculate how much of each of the materials I used in total:
66 pop tabs, 68 wine bottle lids, 26 bread-tags, 40 toilet paper rolls, 28 Danactive bottles, 84 yogurt cups, 23 lightbulbs, 20 bottle seals, 12 plastic drink bottles, 36 pudding cups, 11 hotel snack tin bottoms, 28 hotel snack tin lids, 160 juice/milk/cream carton seals with loop, and the only thing I can’t really be sure of is how many phone/electrical cords, cables, and wires I worked with….. Everything is attached to a chicken wire base using sewing and crochet techniques.
Thanks to everyone who helped me collect items for this piece. much love!
Here it is on the floor of the Gladstone hotel yesterday, I had to spend some time reshaping it and fixing things after I was forced to fold it and crumple it and literally slam the door on it to get into the car to transport it from my house in the rain. I was so focused on finishing the piece all month I didn’t spend much time thinking about moving something of that scale. haha…always learning. It turned out well anyway the materials I worked with are wonderfully resilient. I will be going back soon with my good camera to take some pictures of it hung on the wall. I’m very happy with how it looks. So more pictures to come! Tonight is the opening! Come see it in the flesh…as well as all the other talented textile artist’s work in the show!
Photo credit and a Giant Thanks to my friend Dave for helping me transport and install this piece.
Its still a work in progress, I have more stuff attached to it now but here’s another little peek from a few days ago. By the end of the week I should have some good finished photos. I’ve been taking so much time off work for this piece its wonderful I’m starting to feel human again
I also really need to collect a bunch more of these milk, cream and juice carton seals by thursday…ahhhh
I made this one as a birthday present for my dear friend and co-worker Teresa at the Holiday Inn. English isn’t her first language and we often have trouble speaking to each other and understanding but we never give up trying. She’s a sweetheart and has always been a big help in collecting materials for my art projects throughout the years and so I thought I’d show my appreciation by making one for her so she can see what it is I do with the pop tabs, plastic creamers, twist ties, etc. firsthand.
This is the first time I tried trapping a vegetable net in the frame as a border and I’m pretty excited about it.
Here’s some photos from my little show at the library…It’ll be on display for all of April so if you’re in the Bancroft/Maynooth area I hope you’ll check it out :)
I’m getting ready to set up my work at the library in my hometown in two weeks (Easter weekend). I’m trying to have a substantial amount of pieces to arrange on the wall, I have a few more frames that I’m excited about on the go and as always…I’m having fun.
Here’s one of the latest, which is made up of: pop-tabs, purple mesh wine bottle protector, yellow bread-tags, white garlic netting, blue/green plastic bottles, the stems are either twist ties or telephone wire. Plus black velvet fabric and a found plastic vintage frame.