Embroidered plastic pop bottles with leather leaves, I’ve been cutting out the pieces at home then doing the stitching on the train to/from work. I keep showing up at work with holes in my fingertips because some of the leather is pretty tough to stitch through, but its worth it.
New earrings! made up of metal bottle caps, handcut leather scraps, scrap fabric, grommets, seed beads, and green plastic bottles
I’ve gone to two jewelry classes so far and am now thinking about jewelry designs all the time. I want to figure out what I want to learn about the most in the class since it isn’t very long. So far we’ve been shown wire bending, soldering, making jump rings, kings chain and chainmail, plus all the various pliers, files, metals etc we need. Its in a chemistry classroom in an old High school downtown, the building is huge and creepy and I got lost both times, but I think I have it this week…
I was able to do a lot conceptual work on this piece and planned it all out to make it symmetrical and balanced. Which made it was easy for me to calculate how much of each of the materials I used in total:
66 pop tabs, 68 wine bottle lids, 26 bread-tags, 40 toilet paper rolls, 28 Danactive bottles, 84 yogurt cups, 23 lightbulbs, 20 bottle seals, 12 plastic drink bottles, 36 pudding cups, 11 hotel snack tin bottoms, 28 hotel snack tin lids, 160 juice/milk/cream carton seals with loop, and the only thing I can’t really be sure of is how many phone/electrical cords, cables, and wires I worked with….. Everything is attached to a chicken wire base using sewing and crochet techniques.
Thanks to everyone who helped me collect items for this piece. much love!
Here it is on the floor of the Gladstone hotel yesterday, I had to spend some time reshaping it and fixing things after I was forced to fold it and crumple it and literally slam the door on it to get into the car to transport it from my house in the rain. I was so focused on finishing the piece all month I didn’t spend much time thinking about moving something of that scale. haha…always learning. It turned out well anyway the materials I worked with are wonderfully resilient. I will be going back soon with my good camera to take some pictures of it hung on the wall. I’m very happy with how it looks. So more pictures to come! Tonight is the opening! Come see it in the flesh…as well as all the other talented textile artist’s work in the show!
Photo credit and a Giant Thanks to my friend Dave for helping me transport and install this piece.
This is a sample I’ve been working on for my new piece…made up of a toilet paper roll, plastic yogurt cups, and a crocheted electrical cord on a chicken wire base.
In response to Jess, my new friend in Vancouver, I made these monsters out of Danactive bottles using a small pair of scissors and a hole puncher. I’m still working on some more ideas since the bottles came in a 8 pack :) …and they are easy to work with since they are such thin plastic. While I was taking these pictures the ceiling fan was on high and it was making them move around the floor like little ghost creatures. Also that’s Tiger in the background he came over when he saw me with my camera, he loves jumping in on my photo shoots.
Here’s some photos from my little show at the library…It’ll be on display for all of April so if you’re in the Bancroft/Maynooth area I hope you’ll check it out :)
I’m getting ready to set up my work at the library in my hometown in two weeks (Easter weekend). I’m trying to have a substantial amount of pieces to arrange on the wall, I have a few more frames that I’m excited about on the go and as always…I’m having fun.
Here’s one of the latest, which is made up of: pop-tabs, purple mesh wine bottle protector, yellow bread-tags, white garlic netting, blue/green plastic bottles, the stems are either twist ties or telephone wire. Plus black velvet fabric and a found plastic vintage frame.